Saturday, January 28, 2012

Work from FOTA's Calligraphic Performance Event: Illuminated Letter

I had four uninterrupted hours of fun during FOTA's first Illuminated Letter event and MAN, did I enjoy myself. Here's some of the work I did! Will post the complete photos of these pieces after I've scanned them in. Also writing an article about the event soon with the help of my fine FOTA friends. What an amazing group of people we have there. :) 

A beautiful Anais Nin quote about friendship and how it broadens us. I really went to town on her signature.
From Mark Strand's poem "The Garden."
Detail flourish from Mark Strand's "The Coming of Light."
 
From Mark Strand's "The Garden."
 
One of my all time and current favorite phrases, "Pimp my downstroke." Don't know if I've heard it somewhere, but I can't get it out of my head! Oh baby! There were a few fellow calligraphers there that night who got a good chuckle out of it. Tee hee.
From Mark Strand's poem " Giving Myself Up." Again, I think it's about surrender. The sleeve if my voice is his metaphor used to describe his throat. SO BEAUTIFUL.
From Mark Strand's "The Dress." I think it's a piece about surrendering to the creative process.

No comments: