Wednesday, July 19, 2006


~:H O M E S C H O O L I N G:~

We began classes here at the Portfolio Center Dunwoody campus Monday morning at 8:00. Everything went really well. I opened up about what's going on with the pregnancy to all my students (Mick just about fainted when I told him what a placenta was) and then we had a very entertaining and enlightening discussion about what makes each one of us tick. It seems we're all in this together and while my current challenge may be unique at the moment, we're all struggling together to illuminate ourselves. That's what learning's all about. Next to that struggle, I enjoy very much the discussion of it. So I have to say that even more so now, while I'm limited as to what I can do physically, teaching is one of the most fulfilling things I do. (um, and it's just about the ONLY thing I do now!) Poof - my day flew by. And I slept very soundly that night.

FIRST, I have to thank Rachel from Baton Rouge for fixing me soup for lunch on Monday and the lovely ladies of Calligraphy for lunch on Tuesday - Colleen, Mary, and Audrey. : )

Bjorn also really enjoyed himself - giving everyone an enthusiastic greeting as they walked up the door. We had just one injury. Noah, god bless him, walked right through the 2 foot chicken wire fence we put up for Bjorn. Poor guy. We heard the scratch of wire against pavement, his art bin tumble and rattle with its contents. The twwwwangggggg of his metal ruler, (which thank goodness did not impale him) the rustle and wrinkle of the pages of his sketchpad - all followed by an exasperated sigh. Oops. Sorry, Noah. And then laughter to see him bent over like a swiss army knife across our front walkway. Lucky, he was not seriously injured. Noah did, however, manage to nick his shin on the sharp edge of my coffee table and also successfully startled Bjorn enough to get a growl and possible nip from his miniature papillon fangs. Bad dog! Again - sorry Noah. I laughed so hard (as did the rest of us) that Hannah suggested I stop before possibly giving premature birth.

I am sorry I do not have a picture of this. But rest assured. We will make our fence more visible, as unsightly as it already is. It was at this point that my husband suggested we get more liability insurance.

The photo you see here is of Jordan, who graciously made brownies. Little did I know, Jordan's a vegan. What a nice guy to break 2 eggs without saying a word.

I also must thank Jeff for delivering the contents of my cubby from the school to my house very early that Monday morning. All the time smiling and cheery. And I must say that Justin makes a FINE copy boy.

Day two of teaching was just as lovely. Rose emptied my dishwasher without my asking her, which really, REALLY pleased Doug, who cringes at the sound and texture of his fingers touching warm squeeky clean glasses. So he thanks you.

Mary brought me a very educational vintage "how to be a mother" book printed by the Georgia Department of Health. Apparently, I have to put my hair in braids and wear a smock from here on out. Interesting! And Doug can't be anywhere around. It really must be strictly a girl thing.

So thank you to everyone who helped. Next week should be really fun, as we look at concepts and discuss our options. I'll be updating the PC Home School Page as the quarter progresses and promise to take lots of fun pictures.

Back to my sudoku. XO

~Anne

9 comments:

minus five said...

umm, can i come to a class at dunwoody or am i too old?

Anonymous said...

anne,
we had such a blast yesterday, i think this is going to be totally awesome! your couches are way more comfy than PC folding chairs. keep up the resting and we will see you next week!

Mo said...

i feel so left out that i can't bring you something for lunch! you know i'd come cook for you if i was closer. well, maybe not cook, but i'd drive through some place for sure.

Anne Elser said...

Sarah - come join us!

Jamie - glad you enjoyed yourself. If I remember correctly, though - you were sitting in a folding chair ? ? ? I guess ours was a deluxe version.

Barb - Drive throughs are fun and fast and I've had more of my share of them. Hard to say no to! Move to Atlanta for 3 months! :-)

minus five said...

how do you learn sudoku?

Anne Elser said...

the game's all about logic and luckily for me doesn't reqire any real math skills. peter got me addicted!

minus five said...

i need somebody to show me how to do it. did you ever get any jigsaw puzzles?

Doug Elser said...

thank GOD for the empty dishwasher. that dry, clean, hot, rubbing, squeaking glass feeling.....ah! it's like watching the director's cut of ishtar.

and as long as no one dips into my metamucil, it's all good.

Anne Elser said...

Sarah!

Below are directions I got from www.websudoku.com

Each Sudoku has a unique solution that can be reached logically without guessing. Enter digits from 1 to 9 into the blank spaces. Every row must contain one of each digit. So must every column, as must every 3x3 square.

Check out the site. I hope you get addicted! The first 3 I tried infuriated me. But once I got the hang of it, it was way fun. Waaaay fun.